Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fate vs coincidence

There was a segment this morning on Sunrise about fate vs coincidence that got me thinking. They picked the worst example ever to demonstrate fate - even Mel and Kochie had to ask what fate was involved. Some guy met some girl ...... blah, blah, blah. After he proposed to her he got a phone call from her relatives in the US - they had never called that number before and didn't know he was proposing. Pathetic example of fate. So I wanted to share my fate story as I feel it warrants sharing ........

I never really believed in fate until something happened to me a number of years ago. I went on a trip to the US for work and spent a weekend in San Francisco. In the lead up to my trip I had been wanting to get in contact with one of my close friends who moved to New York from Australia a number of years beforehand to see if by chance he would be on the other side of the country, but I never got around to it. I hadn’t seen or spoken to him in years.

Once I arrived at San Francisco airport I was on my way to get a hire car, when there in front of me was a limo driver with a sign with someone’s name on it – and it was my friend’s name (but only with the first name as an initial). Normally there are heaps of drivers with names waiting for passengers but there was only ONE.

I went up to the driver and asked him what the passengers name was and he didn’t know but said the flight was coming from Salt Lake City. So I went on my way thinking it couldn’t be him.

When we were driving something was still eating away at me so I called my friend and got his voicemail so left a message. 15 minutes later I got a call and it was him in San Francisco airport …….. and our flights arrived at about the same time.  I was excited beyond belief - what are the chances!

We spent all weekend catching up on old times. It was the first time I truly believed in fate! And in case you were thinking ........ this is no love story! ;0) 

So what do you think - fate or a huge coincidence?

No comments: